Thursday, July 17, 2014

Watercolor Hydrangea

I have a guest designing spot at Paper Crafting Challenges this week where the challenge is to use blue, purple and green.

For this card I cut a circle out of scrap card and positioned the resulting mask over my watercolor paper where I wanted my hydrangea.  I then spattered highly diluted Distress Ink to get the basic shape identifiable.  I did want some spatters outside the image so took off the mask and spattered a bit before putting the mask back on and spattering in the circle more.

Removing the mask, I used a combination of the two colors and water to create the illusion of blossoms.  I really like how there is still white space among the blossoms.  I tend to overwork my watercolor so yay me!  I painted a couple of leaves and stem to finish off the flower.  I've been in a glitter mood so decided to add that to the butterfly.  I tried my rarely used Xyron but the adhesive was uneven and spanned the open areas.  I tried stick glue--umm, not so much (OMG, it just occurred to me I could use stick glue for dimension in a stencil and then cover it in glitter ala the Split Coast Stampers a couple of weeks ago--swoon).  I finally settled on Scor Tape where I applied the tape to cardstock then diecut the butterfly and poked all the little bits out.  Exactly what I was looking for.  Ain't no way that glitter is coming off again!

The Details:  Tim Holtz watercolor paper and Distress Inks in Walnut Stain, Faded Jeans, Dusty Concord, Peeled Paint, Pine Needle and Mown Lawn, Heartfelt Creations Hydrangea/Posy sentiment, Memory Box butterfly, Sugar Coating Lily White Glitter, PTI kraft cardstock

I'm entering this in Fantasy Stampers #14 CAS, Shopping Our Stash #160 Can't Put it Down (watercolors in my case),  Simon Says Spots & Dots  

6 comments:

  1. Wow, such a pretty card - the water colouring is stunning. Thanks for joining in at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.

    Caryn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab technique with stunning results, Toni - thanx for sharing with us at Fantasy Stampers.
    Hugz, Jan (DT) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful water coloured flower! Thanks for playing along with us at Shopping Our Stash for the "Can't Put It Down" challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite flower! Beautiful water coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You water colored those petals?! I thought it was a stamp! It's stunning! Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really enjoy and appreciate them all!