Tuesday, November 21, 2017

CDD Daily - Masking


Hi Divas! Toni here with you today to share a couple of masking techniques that I love and use most often. The first technique I'm showing, using the Angel Kisses set, is used to create layered images without layers. What, what? Perfect for one-layer cards or just thinner cards for mailing. 


The image you want at the very FRONT of the scene is stamped first. It is then stamped again on masking paper. My favorite masking paper is by Inkadinkado but I've used Post-Its or even just thin copy paper. What I love about the Inkadinkado paper tho is that it's super thin and easily stored with the stamps for another few maskings.
Now you cut out the image mask and cover the image you'd like to mask off. You then stamp the next image, the one meant to appear behind. Pull that mask off and check out the cool result! You can mask as many images as you want, creating various layers and effects.


The next technique I'm showing on the same card is one that masks off part of the card using tape. I did this here to create a spotlight effect. 
  • Notice the pink is quite bright but softens up when covered in the yellow. (In real life it's even prettier--like sherbet.)  Keep the change in colors in mind when you use this technique. Imagine using yellow over purple and ending up with brown--ugh. 
  • I use wide painter's tape because I am not a careful sponger. As long as the mask can be removed, you can use it. Washi tape, removable Scotch tape, and Post-Its are good options too.
  • Note I de-sticky the tape some by sticking it to my pants a few times. Nothing is more irritating than a beautifully colored scene that you just destroyed by ripping the paper when removing the tape.

To finish the card I stamped the sentiment and used Inside Scalloped Rectangle Die to frame the scene. My final touch was to cover the wings, halos and trumpets with clear glitter.

Once you've masked a few times, you'll be able to do something a bit more complicated.  Can you see how the masking worked for the below card using the Christmas Cheer set? Same concept as the first technique I showed you but just a lot more of it.



I do hope you found this useful and will show us how you were inspired!  Check back next week in the Gallery where I'll be posting another masked card using the first technique shown here. Bye for now!






1 comment:

Thanks so much for your comments. I really enjoy and appreciate them all!