Saturday, February 6, 2016

HLS Mixed Media February Challenge - Paint!

Smile, friend.  It's time for a new Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge!  This month the keyword is "paint."
Paint (n):  a colored substance that is spread over a surface and dries to leave a thin decorative or protective coating; (v) cover the surface of (something) with paint, as decoration or protection; depict (someone or something) or produce (a picture) with paint.
Does that not leave the door wide open for interpretation?  I can't wait to see what you create, you crazy geniuses, you.

For my make, I saw a bird holiday card and thought, "hey, I can do that!"  More or less--LOL.  I recreated the dotty background by coating a Gelli plate with gray acrylic paint then pressing an embossing folder into it.  I love the effect of applying different amounts of pressure to create the mottled background of the first pull.  I used origami paper and my Cameo to create the bird silhouettes.  They are so very pretty and their texture is amazing.  Reminds me of fine mulberry paper.  I love the gold detail on the paper too.   I combined two sentiments and drew in the comma with a Copic multiliner.  Maybe I should make a set of these!

The Details:  Yasutomo origami paper, Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder, PTI Mixed Messages, VersaFine Onyx Black, Gelli plate, Neutral Gray Value 5 acrylic paint, Waltzing Mouse scalloped stitched rectangle die

10 comments:

  1. I love what you did with the gelli plate for the background! This is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow this card is awesome.. love those birds..

    ReplyDelete
  3. i.love.this.
    now where did I put MY origami paper?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am loving your gelli plate backgrounds Toni! And gorgeous papers for the bird die-cuts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! This card is incredible!!! Love the background and the way your birds just pop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous, Toni! Another Toni Gelli plate creation? Yes please! :) Gorgeous birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gelli plate background is fabulous, but what is blowing me away are the gorgeous birds in those beautiful papers. I have some origami paper I was going to give away but you've inspired me to hold onto it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow oh wow! Yes these birds are fantastic! The gelli background is so cool! Love the grey against the color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome take on the holiday card! The background is stunning and so are the origami paper bird silhouettes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really enjoy and appreciate them all!