Saturday, December 5, 2015

Poinsettia Cards

My poinsettia stamp arrived today--can't believe I didn't already have one, can you?  Thank goodness for Amazon.  With the first card, I used my Zigs.  I had a tough time with the water brush I used to spread the paint around until I realized I didn't need a death grip to get the water to flow.  Some colors seemed to spread more easily than others (dark green, e.g.).


For the second card, I had a gelli plate printing that I wanted to fussy cut for the poinsettia but it lacked shading.  I didn't want to use my Copics, assuming that the acrylic paint would be bad for the tips, but would the Zigs work on regular cardstock?  Yes!

I shaded the poinsettia before fussy cutting it then decided to use the one layer paper tole technique to give it dimension.  So cool; I wish you could feel it!  For the greenery I stamped the image using Versamark so I could see the outline and used that as a guide for adding the gouache.  I love that you can layer that stuff without the color beneath showing through.  As I prepared to stamp the sentiment, I decided to leave the errant gold specks of embossing powder for some glam factor.  For the border I did an inlaid diecut of the gold trim around the green.  Love!


The Details (both cards):  Stampendous Create a Poinsettia, Waltzingmouse stitched scalloped rectangle die, Zig markers, Smooch, Recollections 110lb cardstock base; card 1: Stazon, VersaFine Onyx Black,  Hero Arts Merry Christmas Messages, PTI linen impression plate; Tim Holtz watercolor paper, Distress Ink Tumbled Glass; card 2: Versamark, Ranger gold embossing powder, Liquitex Basics acrylic paint, gelli plate, foam dots, Glossy Accents, Holbein Acryla Gouache, Hero Arts Very Merry Christmas


Card 2 Challenges:  I'm entering this one in 52 (Christmas) Card Throwdown Pick a Previous 2015 Challenge (#39 Technique Mixed Media), Mod Squad 3 Ingredients (embossing, rubber stamping, diecut), Mixed Media Card Challenge #18 Celebration

23 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Toni. I LOVE this poinsettia stamp ... oh my gosh, another thing to add to my wish list. :) And I'm loving your bright colours from the Zigs. Amazing.

    Your paper pieced poinsettia is gorgeous too. Love that dark background with the gouache ... so very cool. I was going to hold off getting some of these, but it's becoming harder and harder each time I see you use them. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - both your cards are absolutely stunning! The poinsettia is just lovely. The colours really pop against the black background. Great work. Thanks so much for playing along with 52CCT this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both cards are terrific! I was really drawn to look at your blog more closely because of the poinsettia and how well you coloured it. The one in black is also fantastic and I love the gold speckles-it's like the words were written by magic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Toni, Both cards are gorgeous. Really, I know that others have said it, but it is true. Each one has it's own look and special touches. Your water coloring is superb and makes me want those Zigs. Maybe Santa will bring them. Thanks for joining in the Mod Squad Challenge this week. Hope to see you here again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, gorgeous, brilliant, fab ;) cards, Toni. I love the one layer paper tole technique. Thanks for joining in at The Mixed Media Card Challenge. Melissa - MMCC DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards Toni. Both of them unique in their own way and just as yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toni they are both beautiful cards. I love the gorgeous depth you got to your coloured poinsettia - its so vibrant! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two lovely poinsettia cards - wonderful coloring on both - thanks for joining us in the Mixed Media Card Challenge - Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two very lovely pinsettia cards. Thank you so much for playing with us at the holiday ATSM challenge. Creative regards from stempelfrida

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi your cards are stunning. Thank you for joining us at Fantasy Stampers Challenge 51 “CAS Christmas” Hugs Jackie (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two stunning cards! Love them! Thanks for joining us at 52CCT, April x

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are just fabulous! The black really draws you in, and the white is so elegant! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really beautiful Toni! I love your colouring, just gorgeous. Thanks so much for joining us this week at Just Add Ink :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic cards. The flower on the black background really pops! Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete
  15. such pretty cards, both of them! thanks for joining in with us at MMCC this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Two very elegant cards - love the contrast.

    Thanks for joining us at the Fantasy Stampers Challenge Blog.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both of your cards are amazing! Thanks for sharing them with us at 52CCT.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous card, you did an awesome coloring ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh those colors, Toni! Thanks for joining us at the MMCC this month.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Looks amazing! Thanks for playing with us at MMCC- hoping to see you with us again in January!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just had a look at 3 delightful cards from Loll, using this stamp. Loll provided a link to see the cards that had inspired her. Normally unexcited by December art in March, I am truly charmed by your two cards. I love the random sparkle and the linen texture on the black backed card. TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really enjoy and appreciate them all!