Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Whimsy J3 - You're Killer!


Check out this fab killer whale from the Whimsy Stamps January release set Whale of a Time!

I'm particularly fond of orcas as I live in the Seattle area and can see them occasionally in the Sound from the office. They're sort of like dolphins but more bitey so that's quite close enough. LOL.


I started my card by sponging the base using Distress Oxides which I had masked to separate the ocean from the sunset. I brushed the blue with water to create water ripple streaks then spattered with water.

Can you see how the whale is poking up out of the water?  I created that aperture using one of the ovals from WS Quick Strips. I also popped up the card with foam tape on the bottom half to give a bit more dimension and perhaps to make it seem like the water is receding.

I waited until the DOs were thoroughly dry before stamping the sentiment in Versamark and heat embossing with Ranger White Super Fine Detail Embossing Powder.  Did you notice the whale tail incorporated into a lot of the set sentiments?!


I did use quite a few Copics to get the shading as I wanted it on the whale.  I find that the gray tones have quite a leap shade-wise between numbers (for instance, N3 to N5) so I tend to use the full range.

 https://whimsystamps.com/collections/copic-sketch-markers

The Details:  Whimsy Stamps Whale of a Time and Quick Strips, Copics, Memento Tuxedo Black, Distress Oxides, Ranger White Super Fine Detail Embossing Powder, Versamark

1 comment:

  1. Toni, this is adorable! We are flying into Seattle in May to take an Alaskan cruise. Hope to see some whales! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really enjoy and appreciate them all!